Items of Interest
Suicide is the third leading cause of death for young people aged 15 to 24 and the fourth leading cause of death for persons between the ages of 10 and 14. Most suffer from treatable mental illnesses. Suicide also is the source of profound pain for family members, friends, and people who must confront it in professional or volunteer roles. It is important to take the subject of suicide seriously. It is difficult to realize that a teen-ager would choose to die. But adolescents who can’t get over their depression sometimes do kill themselves.
- EMERGENCY CALL 911 if you fear a friend or loved one has attempted or is considering suicide.
- The Academy of Pediatrics offers more information and advice on young adult, adolescent and children’s suicide.
- WATCH Naples Alliance for Children 5:00 pm Broadcasts on Education Channel 99 or Visit Collier County Public Schools YouTube and click Naples Alliance for Children. Life After Suicide Broadcast below and other Children & Family Parenting Programs.
- CONTACT COLLIER COUNTY COMMUNITY SUPPORT RESOURCES:
- CALL Project H.U.G.S. (Helping Underserved Grieving Survivors) Marcia at 239-597-4158 or Bob at 239-253-6000
- CALL Collier County Sheriff’s Officewww.colliersheriff.org Advocacy Unit @239-252-0720, Ex 2720 (www.colliersheriff.org)
- CALL David Lawrence Center at 239-455-8500 (www.DavidLawrenceCenter.org)
- CALL Veteran’s Hotline at 800-273-8255
- CALL Mental Health Association of Collier County at 239-261-5405 (www.mhaSwFl.org)
- CALL NAMI of Collier County at 239-260-7300 (www.NamiCollier.org)
- CALL Project Help at 239-262-7227 (www.ProjectHelpNaples.org)
- FIND ADDITIONAL HELP in the Naples Alliance for Children hard cover or Website Resource Directory at www.napleschild.org. (Call 239-649-5260 for your free copy.)
Naples Alliance for Children web site serves as your navigator and guide for meeting your Educational, Medical, Dental, Social/Emotional and Childcare needs. Call 239-649-5260 or e-mail email@example.com.