Items of Interest
BE SMART! BE SAFE! Educate yourself and your family on storm safety.
National Weather Service offers advice when a Severe Thunderstorm Warning is issued. Click here for additional information.
- The best defense against thunderstorms is to stay inside a sturdy building or shelter that can protect you from deadly lightning, large hail, damaging winds, flooding rain and tornadoes. Fortunately, thunderstorms typically do not last very long and will most often pass by your location in less than one hour.
- Once in a shelter, stay away from windows and avoid electrical equipment and plumbing. Remember to bring pets inside. If there is time, secure loose objects outside as these objects often become dangerous flying debris in high winds.
- Postpone outdoor activities until the storms have passed.
- If caught outside, take shelter in a sturdy enclosed building or hard top automobile immediately. Avoid open spaces, isolated objects, high ground and metallic objects.
- Get out of boats and away from bodies of water. Remember, if you can hear thunder, you are close enough to the storm to be struck by lightning.
Weather Channel offers other Safety Information videos including Driving in a Storm (Note: any ads are not endorsed by NAFC)
NAFC connects the community through information, referral and programming, with the resources that meet the education, health and welfare needs of the children and families in Collier County
Violence in today’s world runs the gamut from bullying to war to murder, and finds fertile ground in television programs, movies, videos, and superhero games, where it’s gussied up and glamorized. Violence is all around us, and it’s taking its toll on children.
According to former teacher and child-development expert Dr. James Garbarino, exposure to violence in any form leaves many young children feeling scared, hopeless, and unsafe — even in their own homes. Others develop a pattern of aggressive behavior or carry a burden of discomfort that weighs heavily on their young minds.
Scholastic Offers a Guide to help children understand violence and find ways to live with greater peace.
- Naples Alliance for Children is Your Navigation & Guide as you seek the information and resources you need. Search the NAFC Resource Directory or Call 239-649-5260.